Saturday 19 November 2011

Conquering my piping fears (and a sugar cookie recipe)

In my last post I talked about how I had just finished up a 4 week cake decorating class. I have to say again how great it was and just how many skills I got from doing this. It’s amazing how many things I learnt in this course that I can now apply to other recipes (or non cake relate recipes). One non cake related recipe I have wanted to try all year are sugar cookies decorated with royal icing.

I first discovered royal icing biscuits on my most favourite of all blogs-annies eats (http://annies-eats.net/2011/04/08/spring-butterfly-cookies/) and was so amazed that it was possible someone at home could produce this quality biscuit. Since discovering this recipe I have been dying use royal icing but have always been fearful of it, as it requires quite advanced piping skills-something I was very much lacking it.  


Well since doing the cake decorating class and learning the basics of piping I thought I would give sugar cookies decorated with royal icing a go. I have to say I (and my husband) was very happy with the end result. If you are interested in learning how to use royal icing there is a great link on annies eats blog that I used to help me(http://annies-eats.net/2009/12/04/how-to-decorate-with-royal-icing/).




Sugar Cookies

Makes: 20-30 cookies (depending on the size of your cookie cutter)
Ingredients:
1 cup butter
1 cup icing sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 t. vanilla
1 t. salt
2 ½ c. sifted plain flour

Directions:
In a mixer cream butter. Slowly  add  the icing sugar. Blend in egg, vanilla, salt and flour.

Once dough has come together cover with cling wrap and chill dough in the fridge until firm (2-3 hours).

Roll to ¼” thickness on well-floured surface. Cut with cookie cutters. Place on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 180° for 8-10 min. Cookies should not brown. Frost and decorate when cool

2 comments: